Where: Place the code in between the Writer, Mother and Reviewer: My Childhood Bible

Friday 3 May 2013

My Childhood Bible

Faye came home from school last night and asked if I had any books from when I was a little girl that she could read.  I explained that the books I read were in fact the same as some of the books she has on her shelf.  She has Amelia Jane by Enid Blyton, The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy, which I loved, and on top of that Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter.  She, of course, failed to believe me.  I don't know how old she thinks I am.

Anyway, a phone call to nanna and after an hour of her having to dig about in the loft she arrived on my doorstep with a bag full of my old books.  Amongst the pile of Beatrix Potter and Enid Blyton books was my favourite childhood book - The Bible.  It brought a big smile to my face and all the memories came flooding back


I'm not particularly religious nowadays.  I don't attend church or anything like that but I do remember as a young girl sitting on my bed and reading this massive hardback Bible.  It so big I could barely lift it but oh the hours I spent reading about the Garden of Paradise, Cain and Abel and Noah's Ark.  I was just fascinated by the stories.  Looking at the book again today I think another reason I may have been attracted to this book was the graphic illustrations.  There is quite a lot of violent bloody pictures and maybe as a young girl rather than frighten me this simply intrigued me further.

Faye at the moments is very interested in Religion and is always asking questions about the Bible and God.  Questions that I can't really answer anymore.  So now we have the beloved Bible out we can sit and read the stories together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment